- Cultural centers in our region.
|Belleville - World's fastest .5 dirt track, High Banks
Cawker City - World's largest ball of sisal twine
Clyde - Watermelon Capital
Concordia - Stained Glass Capital
Cuba - Rocking Chair Capital
Downs - Storytelling Capital
Ellis County - German Capital
Ellsworth - Drover's Capital
Ellsworth County - Chicken Fried Steak Capital
Great Bend - Lustron Home Capital
|Kirwin- Goose Capital
LaCrosse - Barbed Wired Capital
Lincoln County - Post Rock Capital
Lucas - Grassroots Art Capital
Osborne County - Homestead Literature Capital
Palco - Earthquake Capital
Phillips County - Cow/calf and Hamburger Steak Capital
Salina - Terra Cotta Capital
Wilson - Czech Capital
- Kansas Explores Club Interactive Map:
- Four soda fountains in our area: Agenda, Beloit, Bennington, Glasco and Hays
- Three coffee shops: Ellsworth, Hays, Salina
- One drive-in movie theater: Kanopolis
- Two breweries: Beaver and Hays
- Kansas wines: Ellinwood and Salina.
- North Central Kansas Rural Development Council describes seven of our counties: Smith, Jewell, Republic, Osborne, Mitchell, Cloud, Lincoln.
- Post Rock Scenic Byway (K-232) in Russell, Ellsworth and Lincoln counties.
- Wetlands & Wildlife Scenic Byway begins in Barton county.
- Kansas Geological Survey Photo Library of agriculture, architecture, flowers, industries, landscapes, outcrops, transportation, and wildlife.
- Map of Geologic regions of Kansas. All 17 of our counties are in or are touched by the Smoky Hills. Parts of Phillips and Smith in the northwest are on the High Plains. Parts of Barton and Pawnee counties are in the center hump of the Arkansas River Lowlands. The factsheets below describe the rocks and minerals in the area and list places to see interesting gelogical formations.
- Search by city, county or date for Kansas newspapers(The Kansas State Historical Society has one of the best collections of local newspapers in the country.)
- First Newspapers in Kansas Counties, 1854-1864
- First Newspapers in Kansas Counties, 1865-1871
- First Newspapers in Kansas Counties, 1871-1879
- First Newspapers in Kansas Counties, 1879-1886
- The CKLS region has three state historical sites.
- On-line history books:
- Barton County:
- Cloud County:
- Biographical History of Cloud County, Kansas c1903
- A Hoosier in Kansas, The Diary of Hiram H. Young, 1886-1889
- A Hoosier in Kansas, The Diary of Hiram H. Young, 1890-1891
- A Hoosier in Kansas, The Diary of Hiram H. Young, 1892
- A Hoosier in Kansas, The Diary of Hiram H. Young, 1893
- A Hoosier in Kansas, The Diary of Hiram H. Young, 1894-1895
- Ellis County:
- Ellsworth County: Ellsworth as a Texas Cattle Market, 1935
- Jewell County:
- Lincoln County:
- Ottawa County: Geographical Names in Ottawa County, 1934
- Pawnee County: The Story of Fort Larned
- Phillips County: Patrolling the Santa Fe Trail: Reminiscences of John S. Kirwin
- Republic County: A history of Republic County, Kansas, 1901
- Rush County: The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas publ. 1926
- Saline County: