A PLAYAWAY is a self-playing digital audio book that comes pre-loaded on a small storage device. Each PLAYAWAY can hold content that ranges from 6 to 24 hours of play time. To listen to a PLAYAWAY, you will need a AAA battery and a pair of headphones or earbuds which you can supply yourself.
The PLAYAWAY device was designed with a universal headphone jack to work with almost any type of headphone, speaker, or car adapter.
The PLAYAWAY is controlled by 8 buttons that allow the listener to turn the device on and off, control the speed of the narrator's voice, and digitally bookmark up to 50 spots. To get started, press the PLAYAWAY button once to power on the device. The PLAYAWAY button is the center button on the bottom row, just beneath the LCD screen with the PLAYAWAY logo on it. When you are ready to begin listening, plug your earphones into the headphone jack located on the right side of the unit, press the PLAYAWAY button again, and enjoy!
Equalizer Button (EQ): Located in the upper left corner. The PLAYAWAY has six preset equalizer settings. Each time the button is pressed, a different setting will be chosen. Pressing the volume button again will return the device to its lowest setting. It is not possible to jump to a specific setting; you must cycle through the levels.
Power Button: Located in the upper center. Use this to turn the PLAYAWAY on or off.
Speed Control Button (SP): Located in the upper right corner. The PLAYAWAY has three speed settings. Each time the button is pressed the speed of the narrator's voice will increase until it reaches the fastest speed possible. Pressing the speed button again will return the device to its first setting.
Volume Control Buttons:. These are located on either side of the LCD Display. The button to the left of the LCD Display will decrease the volume. The button to the right will increase volume. Each time a button is pressed, the volume will increase or decrease until it reaches the desired volume level.
LCD Display: Located in the middle of the device. The LCD Display shows the time remaining in a passage by counting down to zero. There is also a small battery icon that is displayed on screen. There are four levels of battery life reflected in the icon. When one bar is left in the battery icon, you have 20% power left.
Skip Back to Previous Chapter or Rewind: Located in the bottom left corner. This button allows you to go back to the beginning of the previous chapter. If you press and hold this button, the chapter will rapidly rewind.
PLAYAWAY Button: Located in the middle of the bottom row. Press the PLAYAWAY button once to turn the player on. Press it again to start the recording. While you are listening to the device, you can press the PLAYAWAY button to pause the book. When you are ready to resume listening, simply press the PLAYAWAY button again. If left on pause, the device will automatically turn off after five minutes. When the PLAYAWAY is restarted, the recording will pick up where you left off.
Skip Forward to Next Chapter or Fast Forward: Located in the bottom right corner. This button allows you to go forward to the beginning of the next chapter. If you press and hold this button, the chapter will rapidly advance.
Installing the Battery
Each PLAYAWAY requires a standard AAA battery that should allow for a full 12 hours of uninterrupted playtime. Patrons may purchase one at the Check Out Desk, or supply their own.
To install or change the battery, hold the PLAYAWAY so that the smooth side is facing you and locate the battery cover at the wide base of the player. Find the slot in the middle of the base and use your thumb or small tool, like a screw driver, to carefully lift up and unsnap the plastic battery cover. Remove the old battery and replace with a fully charged battery, putting the positive side of the battery (side with protrusion) to the right. Snap the cover back into place and continue listening. Discard the used battery.
To determine how much battery life is left in the unit, look at the PLAYAWAY LCD screen which has a small battery icon on it. There are four levels of battery life reflected in the icon. When one bar is left in the battery icon, you have 20% power left.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What do I do if the PLAYAWAY locks up?
- Like any good storyteller, sometimes the PLAYAWAY just needs a moment to catch its breath. First, turn it on and off. If that doesn't solve the problem, remove and reinsert the battery.
- What does the audio sound like on a PLAYAWAY?
- PLAYAWAY audio is of equal or greater quality to digital downloads available today.
- How does PLAYAWAY compare to audio on cassette or CD?
- PLAYAWAY is more convenient and easier to enjoy than juggling multiple CDs, cassettes or a separate player. PLAYAWAY also offers various enhanced digital features, including the ability to control the speed of the narrator's voice and digitally bookmark up to 50 favorite spots.
- How does PLAYAWAY compare to digital downloads and other forms of on-the-go downloading like cell phones?
- PLAYAWAY comes pre-loaded with digital content, so it does not require information transfer fees, subscriptions, memberships, or even an Internet connection. Just plug-in your headphones and listen wherever you go.
- Why can't I add, delete or transfer content to or from a PLAYAWAY?
- In order to protect the copyrighted works of authors and publishers as traditional books do, you are unable to make copies of PLAYAWAY.
- Can I use the PLAYAWAY in my car?
- Yes, each PLAYAWAY has a universal headphone jack that can be used with most of the commonly available car adapters on the market, including cassette adapters and FM transmitters.
- Is the PLAYAWAY waterproof?
- While the PLAYAWAY should not be harmed if it gets splashed, it should not be used under water.